5 Reasons To Want A New Darkstalkers
The rumour mill is predicting a Darkstalkers announcement next week, but if you don’t know anything about the fighter here’s why you should be interested.
Street Fighter IV producer Yoshinori Ono has long talked about returning to Darkstalkers if fans wanted it enough and if he could convince Capcom to back it. With the successes of SFIV and Super SFIV the argument that beat-’em-ups are getting a new lease of life seems sound. Now Ono will be presenting a panel at Comic-Con next week and many expect he will announce a new Darkstalkers game. But if you’re not a fan already, why should you be excited.
1. It’s cool to back the underdog – Darkstalkers is pretty much Street Fighter’s less popular cousin having been based on practically identical fighting mechanics. It’s only had three main games to its name compared to the myriad titles Ryu and his posse has churned out and it’s never been as big a seller. What that really means is, Darkstalkers is a super exclusive club and that makes it much cooler.
2. Monster roster – The key concept for Darkstalkers was essentially, ‘let’s make a fighter with classic horror movie and b-movie monsters in it’. That was a good idea in 1993 and it’s a good idea today. The over-the-top nature of the Darkstalkers roster is one of its most endearing features and has proved to be a huge influence of later fighters, in particular the various spin-offs Capcom has gone on to produce.
3. Darkstalkers was an innovator – Air blocking, chain combos, crouch walking.These were all innovations brought through the very first title (Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors). Being the smaller game compared to Street Fighter, this merry band of monster misanthropes had a lot more scope for breaking trends and messing with the formula. Hopefully that’s something a new Darkstalkers would continue.
4. We need a new challenger – Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur. Those are more or less the big three and in recent years we’ve had Arc Systems attempt to break through with games like Battle Fantasia and BlazBlue. However we need a big gun like Capcom to bring something a little more substantial to the table that can shake things up a little. Something populist and yet innovative at the same time. Not an easy balance, but Darkstalkers could be the series.
5. Morrigan – Ms Aensland is one of Capcom’s most iconic characters having broken free of Darkstalkers to appear in Marvel Vs Capcom, SNK Vs Capcom, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and Cross Edge to name just a few. She’s a favourite of cosplayers the world over and possibly now even more famous than the game that spawned her.